Enjoy an encore of one of our fan favorites with episode 002 (Kyle Barrett). I have the pleasure of calling today’s guest, Kyle Barrett, a friend. He is one of the big inspirations I had to start my own venture. Kyle grew up in the Chicago suburbs but developed a passion for the outdoors and mountains early on. Never losing that love for the outdoors, he went on to play college lacrosse at Syracuse.
After graduating, Kyle moved back to Chicago and lived in the city. He was working as a commercial real estate agent, as he developed another passion for entrepreneurship. At the same time, Kyle began to have success in commercial real estate, but his new hunger for the mountains and starting his own company proved to be bigger than financial success. Leaving Chicago and commercial real estate behind, he moved to Denver where he founded Bighorn Apparel.
On today’s episode, Kyle and I discuss:
- Kyle’s time in commercial real estate and why working with business owners inspired him to start his own
- The key moments that lead Kyle to drive out to Denver and stay on a friend’s couch while he figured things out
- How he came up with the idea to start Bighorn Apparel
- How Kyle was able to take his first action step to create the company with no background in the apparel business
- How taking his first action step, even though small, changed his mindset
- The process of faking it till you make it
- Overcoming those lonely and tough days starting a company
- The story of how Bighorn’s manufacturer went out of business weeks before he was supposed to launch
- Kyle’s side hustle in rental properties as a way to support himself as he grows Bighorn, and how the entrepreneur mindset led him there
- We dive into Kyle’s life outside out work including hiking and running up the Rockies
3 Key Takeaways:
- “Doing well” in others minds and financially does not equal fulfillment
- No matter how small, the first action step changes your mindset from thinking to doing
- Weigh the risks, if you aren’t going to starve, why wouldn’t go after the life you want
Find Bighorn on social media:
Bighorn Apparel Website: https://www.wearbighorn.com/
This episode is sponsored by the company we just heard about, Bighorn Apparel.
Drawing inspiration from their Denver, Colorado hometown, Bighorn owns the line between everyday urban style and the tough, mountain look. Their up for anything approach has created a versatile brand that’s appropriate for any type of situation.
Bighorn aims to empower the consumer by using environmentally friendly materials that are produced in a responsible manner. They strive to find the connection between tough, sustainable, and stylish in their durable clothing line.
Use promo code “ubpath” at checkout on the website at https://www.wearbighorn.com/ to receive 25% off your order.
JOIN AND SHARE
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a one- or two-sentence review in iTunes or on Stitcher. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
And, by all means, if you know someone you think would benefit from the podcast, please spread the word!